The title Knight Batchelor (KB) was introduced by King Henry III to signify a battelier (one who fought in battle). The badge was authorised by King George V in response to a request from the Imperial Society of Knight's Batchelors who wished to have a distinctive badge denoting their rank.
The badge was reduced in size in 1933 and again in 1973 when it was fitted with a ring for suspension by a ribbon round the next. On 4th December 1998, Her Majesty the Queen signed an amending warrant permitting recipients of this honour to wear both a neck badge and breast badge.
The Knight Batchelor's Badge is generally awarded for public service; amongst its receipients are all male judges of Her Majesty's High Court of Justice in England.
First Type (1929)
Smaller Type (1933)